CODE OF CONDUCT
The Open Network:
- shares a vision of future where human and non-human life can flourish on Earth
- understands that anthropogenic global environmental change is real and scientifically proven
- engages respectfully with others that have different backgrounds and cultures
- promotes a productive dialogue across constituencies about sustainability initiatives
Rules of Behavior
As a member of the Open Network,
- I will be respectful of others within the community, and will consider carefully how I interact.
- I stand by the opinions I express in posts and will not send posts that provoke conflict (trolling) or cyber-bully other participants.
- I will do my utmost to make sure that information I share is factually correct or well represents the most scientifically supported knowledge or practice.
- I will do my due diligence to check the validity of my sources before I refer or link to them.
- I will protect my community login information and will not share it with other parties.
- I will not upload content if I don’t own or have permission to use.
- I will not post people’s private, personal information.
- I will not post pornographic, offensive, or obscene material.
- I will not bring an angry or antagonistic demeanor to my interactions on the site.
- I will not use this site to sell products or services, and will not engage in spamming.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE
This Open Network is made available by Higher Logic and Future Earth (“Community Operators”) for the public to share information including sustainability research, Future Earth activities, research results, innovations, events, conferences, vacancies, funding opportunities. By contributing to this community (via accessing, posting, participating or leading activities), and in consideration of the use of the community, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
- The Community Operators disclaims responsibility for unlawful content published on this site by any users.
- You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Community Operators against any damages, losses, liabilities, judgments, costs or expenses (including attorneys’ fees) arising out of a claim by a third party relating to any material you post.
- The Community Operators does not expressly or implicitly endorse, approve or certify the accuracy, currency or reliability of any content presented in this community.
- Any opinions expressed in this community should not be construed as reflecting the opinions of the Community Operators.
- Reference to any product, process or service does not constitute or imply endorsement or recommendation by the community operator. Likewise, you may not use the community name to promote any product, opinion, cause or political candidate. This community may not be used to solicit political contributions.
- The Community Operators assumes no responsibility for consequences resulting from use of information contained in this community, and expressly disclaims all liability for damages arising out of use, reference to, reliance on, or performance of such information.
- The Community Operators hereby disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for any particular purpose. You agree to use this community at your own and sole risk.
We respect your privacy
Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of our organization except as noted below.
With Whom Do We Share the Personal Information We Collect Through This Site
- Our Service Providers: We may share your personal information with our vendor, Higher Logic, who performs services on our behalf. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
- Government and Legal Disclosures: We may disclose the personal information we collect through this Site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or a court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this Site; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, or others.
Your Rights. Subject to applicable law, you have the following rights in relation to your Personal Data:
- Right of access: If you ask us, we will confirm whether we are processing your Personal Data and, if so, provide you with a copy of that Personal Data (along with certain other details). If you require additional copies, we may need to charge a reasonable fee.
- Right to rectification: If your Personal Data is inaccurate or incomplete, you are entitled to have it rectified or completed. If we have shared your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the rectification where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to erasure: You may ask us to delete or remove your Personal Data and we will do so in some circumstances, such as where we no longer need it (we may not delete your data when other interests outweigh your right to deletion). If we have shared your data with others, we will tell them about the erasure where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to restrict processing: You may ask us to restrict or ‘block’ the processing of your Personal Data in certain circumstances, such as where you contest the accuracy of that Personal Data or object to us processing it. We will tell you before we lift any restriction on processing. If we have shared your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the restriction where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to data portability: Effective 25 May 2018, you have the right to obtain your Personal Data from us that you consented to give us or that is necessary to perform a contract with you. We will give you your Personal Data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format. You may reuse it elsewhere.
- Right to object: You may ask us at any time to stop processing your Personal Data, and we will do so.
- Rights in relation to automated decision-making and profiling: You have the right to be free from decisions based solely on automated processing of your Personal Data, including profiling, that affect you, unless such processing is necessary for entering into, or the performance of, a contract between you and us or you provide your explicit consent to such processing.
- Right to withdraw consent: If we rely on your consent to process your Personal Data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. This will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on your prior consent.
- Right to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority: If you have a concern about our privacy practices, including the way we have handled your Personal Data, you can report it to the data protection authority that is authorized to hear those concerns.
You may exercise your rights by contacting us as indicated under “Contact Us” link at the top of this page.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use The Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies. For any other information please contact us using the Contact Us page.
The Open Network may use a tracking technique that employs embedded URLs to allow use of the Websites without cookies. Embedded URLs allow limited information to follow you as you navigate the Websites, but are not associated with Personal Information and are not used beyond the session.
The Open Network uses mobile analytics software to better understand the functionality of the Mobile Software on your phone. This software may record information such as how often you use the application, the events that occur within the application, aggregated usage, performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any personally identifiable information you submit within the mobile application.
On most web browsers, you will find a “help” section on the toolbar. Please refer to this section for information on how to receive a notification when you are receiving a new cookie and how to turn cookies off. Please see the links below for guidance on how to modify your web browser’s settings on the most popular browsers:
Please note that if you reject cookies or disable cookies, your use of certain features or functions on our Websites may be limited.
To find out more about cookies and similar technologies, including how to see what cookies and similar technologies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.