How can we stop plastic pollution in the Mediterranean Sea?
WWF Mediterranean is developing a project proposal to achieve significant reduction of plastic leakage into the marine environment by acting on key leverage points in Mediterranean countries (see Out of the Plastic Trap report). We need help to generate the following knowledge, expertise and project design:
· Understanding of the plastic system in the Mediterranean countries: key components of the system; sources and flows of plastic waste and leakage into the marine environment; regional differences;
· Connecting and engaging with centres of expertise and innovation in the plastic material cycle;
· Identifying and prioritizing of obstacles to closing the plastic cycle: technological; market/business models; waste/materials management and governance context;
· Identifying key leverage points that can lead to a fast reduction of plastic pollution into the Mediterranean sea: business models; lack of waste material collection systems; lack of economic and regulatory incentives; regulatory and business practice barriers; public awareness and participation; country/region specificities and hotspots;
· Developing metrics to monitor the result of actions in terms of reduced plastic pollution to the ocean;
· Designing transformative pilot interventions that can lead to measurable leakage reduction.
If you have knowledge and expertise to offer, please contact: