This symposium will bring together researchers and other experts to exchange knowledge about micro-plastics in marine environments regarding distribution and toxicity. Possible solutions and ways forward to achieve degradation of plastic pollutants as well as regulations to restrict the dispersion of plastic products will be discussed. Development of pathways to solve the degradation of plastic pollutants in the oceans will be discussed including use of tertiary water treatment plans to minimize the flow of plastics. Biosafety concerns as well as financial needs will also be considered.
• Stefan Bertilsson, Uppsala University
• Bethanie Carney Almroth, University of Gothenburg
• Martin Hassellöv, University of Gothenburg
• Ignacy Jakubowicz, Research Institute of Sweden (RISE)
• Verena Reiser, Novozymes
• Joao Sousa, IUCN
• Kristian Syberg, Roskilde University
The Symposium is hosted by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences and the International Union for Conservation of Nature.