About This Course
Cities are full of opportunities, but they also face many challenges. Rapid urbanization oftenthreatens the environment, human health, and fair distribution of resources and funds.
In cities and local communities, sustainability and the quest to implement new solutions are more tangible than in any other place. These are places where urgent response is needed and where results can be more visible. Urban areas have the critical mass to perform the changes we need on a global scale. More than anywhere else.
The Earth Charter is a document with 16 ethical principles to foster sustainable development. The Earth Charter Cities Manifesto is a call to action that was developed to help communities, cities, colleges and companies implement the Earth Charter.
This Earth Charter Cities Course will equip participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to take urban sustainability practices to higher levels by using the Earth Charter (EC) and the Earth Charter Cities (ECC) Manifesto.
This course helps participants develop a broad approach to sustainability and make the EC Principles actionable at an urban level.
By creating some space to dive into theory and good practices, the course intends to help participants be prepared to develop sustainable and inclusive communities in an era of uncertainty and disruption. It offers a space to learn about the nexus between the Sustainable Development Goals, the Earth Charter and urban sustainability.
This experience seeks to build a pool of experts and consultants with a systemic and ethical approach to sustainability, who are able to provide quality support and guidance to cities facing challenges during their development and planning process.
- Develop knowledge and deepen understanding on sustainable urban development through the lenses of Earth Charter and the Earth Charter Cities Manifesto.
- Read and assess local urban situation(s) based on the Earth Charter Cities Manifesto and define decision-making criteria coherent to this vision.
- Use the Earth Charter and the Earth Charter Cities Manifesto as tools to make ethical and sustainable decisions in the urban developing and planning processes.
- Find ways to connect cities, colleges, companies and communities in effort to realize the EC and ECC vision.
- Share with local and global communities, how to report on knowledge and experiences on sustainable urban settings through the lenses of an Earth Charter City.
The Earth Charter Cities Course is designed for city officials, local government executives, managers, planners, urban practitioners or decision makers, as well as urban experts and community leaders, who are interested in:
- Taking a bold step in bringing a broad vision of sustainability to their local community or city.
- Expanding their knowledge and skills to implement urban sustainability practices with a comprehensive approach.
- Learning and applying the Earth Charter and the Earth Charter Cities Manifesto framework in their local contexts and daily work.
- Turning theories and best practices of urban sustainability into actionable strategies.
Course Format and Planning
The Earth Charter Cities Course is an online, facilitated course.
Participants are introduced to the content through sessions that include videos, articles, live webinars and discussion forums. In each session, participants are expected to complete assignments, which are posted to forums for discussion between participants and facilitators.
During the closing webinar participants will present the result of their final project. This course will allow the interaction between participants, where they will be encouraged to build connections and to collaborate with each other.
- The challenges of our time
- Urban development (socially, financially and environmentally sustainable)
- The Earth Charter and The Earth Charter Cities Manifesto
- Ethics and the Sustainable Development Goals (with a special focus on Goal 11: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable, and interlinking it with the other goals.)
The course fee is US$499 Early Bird and group discount are available.
For more information on payment contact apply[@]earthcharter.org