This unique programme is designed to provide participants with the opportunity to deepen understanding, knowledge, and skills to integrate Education for Sustainable Development and Education for Global Citizenship into classrooms, schools, and curricula. It contributes to the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals, with a specific focus on SDG 4, target SDG 4.7.
Unlike most programmes in sustainability, in these courses the Earth Charter (EC) is used as a central feature of this approach. The EC provides a broad, inclusive and powerful values-based orientation that can be infused within the missions and purposes of most educational programmes. The methodologies introduced are ones that can be applied to all learning across the curriculum and across grade levels.
Participants who successfully complete this Online Programme will be invited to join the Earth Charter Educators Network.
Strengthen the knowledge, skills, and abilities of educators to implement Education for Sustainable Development and Education for Global Citizenship in their work, providing a space for dialogue and professional update on pedagogical processes of transformative learning that respond to the new guidance and educational needs in this area. The programme will offer a special space to look into the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Specifically, this Certificate Programme seeks to:
- Clarify concepts of sustainability, sustainability values and principles, sustainable lifestyles and responsible consumption; and global citizenship, as well as the synergies between them.
- Deepen and expand knowledge about new paradigms of education associated with education for sustainability, sustainable lifestyles, education for global citizenship and transformative education.
- Strengthen capacities and skills of the educators to integrate the values of sustainability in their areas of action, and develop educational programmes that promote a new awareness of our relationship with the environment and sustainable lifestyles.
- Explore methodological and transforming pedagogical tools that can be used in educational programmes.
- Motivate and inspire educators to contribute, through their areas of action, in building more coherent, harmonious, and sustainable societies.
- Stimulate the exchange of experiences between educators from different contexts and regions
The courses provide a balance of theoretical and practical analysis, and includes video chats offered by facilitators, individual study materials, and forums where the group discusses the subjects. The four courses offered are:
- A Planetary Perspective: Toward a Culture of Peace, Sustainability, and Well-Being
- Values and Principles for Sustainability: The Earth Charter as an Ethical Framework and a Call to Action
- Transformative Learning, Worldviews, Sustainability: Experiential Education and the Earth Charter
- Transformative Learning and ESD: A Holistic Pedagogy Grounded in the Neurosciences